Sunday, June 28, 2009

Quick Update: Second Excursion, Vira's Documentary, Orest's Visit and Canada Day!!

I feel in a procrastinating mood, so I decided I am going to write a short blog entry ("YEAH, RIGHT", you're thinking lol, but I promise, this one will be short because otherwise someone is going to be disappointed with me :P hahahaha)...

Monday was fun. We took a second batch (hahaha, I said batch) of girls on an excursion, this time to the lake near the center. We first topped at the creepy playground (lol, if you don't know what I mean, I explained it before, but basically, it has some suicide-angled slides lol). We had a bit of fun there while we waited for the boat to come over to the shore. Then, it arrived we went on a pleasant boatride around the lake. I was really hoping to get a tan, hahaha, but that didn't really happen. After that we went into a store for ice cream, we waited around a bit for the bus and we went back to the internat.





Interestingly, though, on our way home we met a girl by the name of Vira who had been working on a short documentary about the girls at the Internat. She spoke English fairly well, and after talking for a bit in the bus, she invited all three of us for supper. So we agreed, took a cab to her place, and got to her house. Her mom was very very very hospitable (to the point of pushy, hahaha). They served us weird food hahaha, and had a bit of conversation. What was great about this little visit, however, was that we got to watch the documentary she had put together. It was still unfinished, as she still had to put English subtitles on it, but she translated it for us. And well... when we watched this documentary.... G U L P ! ! ! I Cannot even describe to you how I felt. Even though I have spent a month with these girls, this documentary showed me hoe very little I really know about them, and especially, how little I know about their pain. When we are together, we are always happy and having fun, so I haven't gotten to see the other side of them... The side that is crying out for help and in so much need of healing. I knew it was there. I knew. But not in this way. I had never seen it. As I watched the video and heard the translations of the things the girls were saying, my heart sank into my stomach. They talked about their dreams, their hopes, their previous suffering. Their loneliness. The pain they usuffer to have been abandoned. (Remember, many of these kids do have parents, but they were dumped at the orphanage because of their dissabilities and other problems.

Just to give you an idea of some of the things they said... One girl said right to the camera "Mom, I miss you", another one "I want to find my mom, but my mom does not want me", and another one "I do have a mom, but I do not want to go back to her"... I cried during the entire documentary. I love these girls so much already, and this just intensified my desire to show them the love they have not received. I just want to show them Christ. I want to give my heart to them. Pray for me so that I may be able to make their lives better, even if just a little.

_____

The next day was Orest's first visit at the internat. He is going to be our new tutor and translator now, since Oxana (who was supposed to be our tutor) got an awesome opportunity to go to Spain and is leaving. He is going to be coming to the internat for 6 hours a week, which is awesome. And LET ME TELL YOU... the girls LOVED him!! Hahahahahahahahaha!! They don't get to see many boys around, so you can imagine how excited they were, hahahahaha!! He was so good with the girls, and you could tell from his face that he was having a great time, while at the same time experiencing a bit of shock (just like we all did)... **Orest, correct me if I am wrong, hahaha**. Gayla came and we played ball with her for a little while. Then we had some great conversation with her. She told me (and later also Jen and Jessica) about the attrocities that happened in Ternopil during WWII and how it affected the entire community. I don't want to go into the details because they are pretty gruesome, but if you know anything about the war you an pretty much imagine what I am talking about. Gayla is very opinionated in some issues (and I kind of like that hahahaha) which is kind of funny; it is always a joy to talk to her.



Finally, today, since it was Canada Day, we had a special celebration. Jen and Jessica had the great idea of painting the girl's nails in red and white, so I bought some nail polish to have a Canada Day-Manicure party hahaha. I also bought a red eyeliner, with which I drew a maple leaf on the faces of the girls. Jen and I also brought a few flags, and I bought two kilograms of strawberries (cuz you know, they are RED, hahaha) as a treat for the girls. Jen was so kind as to wash the strawberries with a few of the girls while Jess and I painted nails and faces. It was fun. It was also difficult. Some of these girls' nails are either barely existent or in such horrible state that is very difficult to paint them, never mind make them look nice. They do not care, however, and they were having fun being 'girlie girls'. I just smiled the whole time :D One of the girls has a severe deformity in her hands and feet; the middle and ring fingers of her right hand are joined together and so are the nails. Yet, without hesitation she asked for her nails to be painted just like the other girls, which Jessica did gladly. So as you can see, the fun comes with all kinds of surprises! I love it.







Tomorrow we are going to start working on a little project which I will keep secret for the time being. Friday I am going with my host family to a village to visit a special little church (don't ask for more details, cuz I really don't know anything else, hahaha). Saturday will be playing school catch up, just like the rest of today, tomorrow, and Friday evening, and Sunday Jen, Jess and I will be planning for our upcomming trip to Poland (we are going to Krakow, Auschwitz and the Salt Mines), so it will be a fun and busy end of the week!

Yes, yes. I know what you are thinking. "Miri, this is NOT short." Lol. But hey, it is SHORTER than most of my other entries hahahaha. I will leave it at that for now. I will update this with a few pictures, but don't forget that my albums are now available in their full version through the links on the right side panel. Miss you all, love you all, and God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for highlighting your photos thro the link, they are GREAT! I really enjoy reading stories, they are quite detailed but interesting. It must take you a long time to post the pictures but they are wonderful to look and really help us learn more about your experience. Keep blogging & posting pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how the more people you let into your heart, the "roomier" and cozier it gets. I a proud to be your mom and I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete