Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Two down, and hopefully NOT one more to go!!!

Day 3. Today, like yesterday, I caught the bus to the internat before Jen, so I was there a bit earlier than usual. Jess was still not feeling well, so she stayed home (hopefully she gets better soon!). Just like yesterday, the girls were excited to see me and we began the day by colouring some pictures and playing a few games. I was enjoying myself very much, especially since I got to take some more pictures and play with Rosa, one of my favourite girls a the internat. And by favourite, I just mean that I think she is one of the sweetest, most adorable girls, not so much because of her appearance, but beause of her personality. Rosa is 14 years old. But, she looks and acts much MUCH younger, even in the way she colours. To me she is just like a little girl. I could almost swear she is like a tall, shy, 4-5 year old. She has the cutest little smile, despite her not-so nice teeth. Look at this picture, isn't see adorable??

When Jen got to the internat she decided to spend some time with the "wee ones", as I call them. However, pretty soon she started to feel ill with what we suspect is the same thing Jess has. Yikes! Two musketeers down! :( I hope I am not next! I looked at Jen, who was noticeably pale and whoosy, and I suggested she went home. I felt bad leaving so early, but I also decided to go with Jen, just in case. I didn't want her collapsing on her way to the bus or something. So she gave me her Ukrainian dictionary, marked on the page where the phrase "My friend fell ill" is. I told her to go on ahead and I would catch up with her once I told the staff we were leaving. I ran to a few staff, pointed at the phrase on the booklet, and said goodbye to a few of the girls, blowing them kisses and trying to do my best to show them why I was going (one of the older girls who could read the phrase on the book told them what was happening). So the girls blew kisses back, a few of them ran to hug me, and then I sprinted to catch the bus with Jen, since it was about to leave. It was perfect timing and we got on the bus and went home.

So my day at the internat ended earlier than I hoped, but like Jen said, it is only the first week. I Really doubt that either of the girls will come to the internat tomorrow, but I am still going to go. I have a hard time being by myselfl for such a long period of time because when it comes to organizing games and such, they are much better able to communicate due to the language. But I will do my best. I already have to be thinking about what I will do on Mon-Wed of next week, since they are not coming on those days either since they are going on some excursion. I wish I could do stuff like that with them, but since I am here with a different program (Students for Development, while they are with Beyond Borders), I am not registered for any of their activities, such as their trip to Lviv on Saturday. That is ok though. Once my command of Ukrainian is a little better, I might actually venture to go to Kiev and Lviv, maybe with Orest and Krystina, if they are up for it. I am also planning a trip to Poland, sometime at the beginning of July. I want to go to Aushwitz... we'll see.

The unfortunate thing about leaving early (other than the missed time with the girls), is that there was nobody home and I was locked out of the house. Maybe you are wondering why I didn't go back to the internat after dropping Jen of. Well, despite the distance, I did considered going back, but when I looked at my wallet I realized I did not have enough money for the bus back. All I had was 1.5 hryvnia, which is only enough for one way. And I couldn't get money out of the bank because my bank card was in the house. And the house was locked. And I was outside! So, I had no choice but to sit outside and wait. And think. And pray. Time went by fast though, since I received a phonecall from a friend after a little while, and that was awesome!!

Later Orest arrived and let me in, and later we went to the bank to take some money out to pay the Muriy's for my room and board for the month, as well as to pay Orest for the Ukrainian language tutoring. The rest of the day has gone by in school work, which I took a break from to post. I think that is all for now, but I will post more pictures soon! Love you all, miss you all. God bless.

1 comment:

  1. If you go to Poland, you MUST (really, MUST MUST MUST) go to Wieliczka Salt Mine. It's within Krakow's metropolitan area. Besides, if you go to Auswitz, Wieliczka isnt too far. It has one of the most beautiful underground cathedrals (yes, cathedral) I have ever seen.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine

    http://www.kopalnia.pl/home.php?action=&id_language=2&

    My friend was a lil disappointed with Auschwitz...because she wanted to see the real thing... unfortunately, a lot of stuff got destroyed. Birkenau is more close to how it was back in the day. But, it is still definitely a place to go.

    But anyways, I am so happy that you are updating your profile! :D

    ReplyDelete