Friday, May 29, 2009

The House Where I Live


Orest’s house is located in a small, narrow street 15 minutes away (walking) from Ternopil’s downtown. It is a very simple, yet homey house equipped with all the basic needs I could think of. The back yard, which is actually from where we usually enter the house, has been turned into an awesome vegetable and fruit garden! Apparently, people here tend to grow their own produce a lot. I have seen quite a few houses with their own little gardens. In the Muriys’ garden there are tomatoes, beets, cabbage, green onions, apples, raspberries, and a bunch of other things, including these awesome little fruit that look like strawberries but are actually the size of peas!! When I fist had them I though to myself “these are the most underdeveloped strawberries I have ever eaten, but I love them anyway!” Hahaha. Later I found out that they never actually grow any bigger, which makes them all the more awesome hahaha.

When you enter the house, to the right, there is a flight of narrow wooden stairs that lead to the second floor, where Orest’s and Kyristina’s room is, as well as the attic where they hang the washed clothes. The computer is in Orest’s room, which means that if I need the Internet I only use it while he is away at school or work, since I don’t want to invade his privacy. The rest of the time I use my own computer to do schoolwork. Orest said that he is going to try to get a router so that I can get Internet connection in my computer, which would be fantastic! He is also going to try to help me buy a cell phone on Saturday.

Sorry, I sidetracked. Hehe. Anyway, to the right of the stairs there is the kitchen, which is small and simple but comfortable. Further down there are a few other bedrooms, one for BahBah, one for Mama Ola, and finally one for me. Actually, my room is really the living room, and I sleep on a pull-out futon that is actually not bad at all. In the room there is a TV and a piano, but I do not use either of them. I also have a whole dresser where I was able to put my clothes, which is great because that way I don’t feel like I am living out of a suitcase for 3 months. In my room there is a large colourful picture with what appear to be merchants, and a large red rug on the floor. On top of the piano there is also a picture of whom I am sure is Orest’s dad. There are also a number of icons and traditional decorative eggs – very typical of Ukraine.

As far as the bathroom facilities go, the bathtub is actually very large and we have a very good amount of hot water. Never had a problem! Also, the toilet is in a separate room than the sink and the bathtub. This may sound like an inconvenience, but when there are so many people living in the same house, it is actually a very good idea! The toilets here are much smaller than in North America, and they function by pushing down a button at the top of the tank. The toilet paper is also different! It has no whole in the middle, so we just set it on the side! I think it is funny how one takes for granted little things like holes in rolls of toilet paper! Hahaha

The electrical plugs are also different, of course, but I came prepared with two sets of adapters and an extra converter, just in case one blows! (Which would be clearly tragic!)

The Muriy’s don’t currently have a car, but it is easy to move around in buses or simply to walk. I have not yet had the chance to hop on a bus, but I am sure that will happen pretty soon!

I think the only thing that drives me a little nuts is that the phone rings often but during the day sometimes BahBah does not hear it and since I can’t understand the language, I can’t pick it up! Technically you could say I could go get BahBah, but she is usually in her room, to which I think I am not supposed to go, or out somewhere. Of course, when Ola, Krystina or Orest are here, they pick it up. The only reason why the phone ringing in the morning bothers me is because I always wonder if it is the professor at the university who is supposed to let me know what’s happening with the lessons. That will come soon enough, but I am eager to learn the language as soon as possible, if not fully, at least enough to be able to communicate a bit.

Next I will tell you about my visit around the town with Orest.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the backyard of the house is beautiful! What a nice place to stay! I like your thoughts on the 'underdeveloped strawberries' lol. That is so nice of Orest to let you use his computer so much. Looks like you have a very nice room too - wow I couldn't imagine having a piano in my bedroom, that would be awesome lol. And wow, I will never take the holes of toliet paper rolls for granted again. :P I am so glad you thought of writing a blog about your trip - you should get it printed or something as a memory of the trip.

    ReplyDelete