Friday, May 29, 2009

Ternopil Walk About


During his break between jobs, Orest took me to Ternopil’s downtown two days ago, since he had to run some errands anyway. It is rather surprising, but the town actually somewhat reminds me of the little old rustic towns in Mexico, particularly in the way the streets are, the way the old people walk, and ESPECIALLY in the way people drive! Hahaha! I am going to have to learn how to cross the street all over again. It is an art!

First we stopped at the hospital since Orest needed to pick a sheet up there. Then we went to exchange my Euros for Hryvnia. One Euro is about 10.60 Hryvnia. After that, we went to the bank, where Orest had to withdraw a deposit. Then we went to one of the bars in the town, but only because Orest needed to go to the bathroom and that seems to be the only place in town where there is a free bathroom. Everywhere else they charge you for it!

Then, we stopped at the local Ukrainian Catholic Church. It was very similar, and yet very different from North American Roman Catholic churches, at least the pre-Vatican II churches. The church was surprisingly small on the inside, despite of its tall ceiling and wonderful domes which looked awesome on the outside. The domes were decorated with religious artwork, just as all of the walls. There were pictures and icons everywhere, although I don’t remember seeing any statues.
The area of the narthex is under repairs, so there were wooden structures all the way to the ceiling. However, they did their best to conceal them as much as possible by placing a nice and very large cross made of fabric, which actually looked kind of nice. Because the Tabernacle was hidden far in the Sanctuary behind a series of doors, I had a hard time concentrating on the fact that it was there. Also, the navel of the church was empty, with only a few benches at the front for elderly people to sit during the service. The rest of the congregation stands during the whole Mass, most of which is chanted and which lasts for about 1.5 hours.

After the church we needed to head back since Orest had to go to his other job, but on the way we found his mom, who was walking on her way home, so he was able to stay and leave me with her so that she would not have to walk me all the way home. I walked with Mama Ola, and on the way she tried to communicate with me as best she could. She pointed to buildings and things, saying their name, and I tried to keep up, although I must admit I do not remember most of the word she taught me. I need to write them down to remember them. I am more of a visual learner when it comes to languages.

Once we got home, we sat down to eat… like always! Hehe.

But before I turn to the topic of food, maybe I should say a bit more about the people.

1 comment:

  1. That's crazy that you were reminded of Mexico! I especially like how you somehow related the way Ukrainian old people walk to how Mexican old people walk... lol.

    Wow... the Ukrainian Catholic Church looks absolutely beautiful. I can't believe how ornate it is. Kind of surprising that there are so many icons but no statues. That is kind of strange that the tabernacle was so far back, that's interesting though. Do you know if it's like that in other Eastern Catholic churches too? That's crazy that most people stand during Mass that is that long - that's certainly some strong devotion! I love the picture of you standing inside the church :D

    ReplyDelete